The deaths of 17 people involved in a fire at a Bronx high rise in New York this week were all due to smoke inhalation, officials stated, according to a FOX News report.
A total of eight children and nine adults who died due to smoke inhalation as a result of a fire Sunday morning at a duplex apartment of a 19-story building in the Bronx’s Fordham Heights was ruled accidental by the Chief Medical Examiner’s Office of New York City in an email.
It was “accidental, [a] malfunctioning space heater,” Fire Department of New York (FDNY) Fire Marshals said Monday. There were no fire escapes or sprinklers in the building. As the blaze was unfolding, firefighters “found victims on every floor and were taking them out in cardiac and respiratory arrest,” Daniel Nigro, the FDNY Commissioner, said during a press conference Sunday. “That is unprecedented in our city.”
After the devastation, several people were rushed to the hospital in critical condition, with the youngest being three years of age. The American Red Cross has since provided temporary housing for 22 families, including 56 adults and 25 children, while others stayed with family.
Following the tragedy, newly elected mayor, Eric Adams, announced on Monday the creation of the Bronx Fire Relief Fund, which would provide aid to the displaced families.
“Yesterday’s fire in the Bronx is an unspeakable tragedy, but I promise New York City will be there to help our neighbors through it,” Adams stated Monday. “The City stands ready to give impacted families all the support they need — it’s what we do. Every dollar given to the Mayor’s Fund will go directly to those affected by the fire; please give if you can, and together we will get through this.”
The mayor’s office has stated it would provide victims with access to safe housing options.
© 2022 Newsmax. All rights reserved.