Voters have more trust in Republicans than Democrats as President Joe Biden’s approval rating sinks to a staggering 37%, a Washington Post-ABC News poll showed Sunday.
The survey ahead of Biden’s State of the Union address Tuesday showed the president with a 37% job approval, with 55% disapproving.
It also found 50% of registered voters saying they’d prefer Republicans to be in control of Congress, while 40% prefer Democrats — with 49% saying they’ll support a GOP candidate in the midterm elections and 42% saying they’ll go for the Democratic candidate.
Ahead of 2018’s midterm elections, it was Democrats who had a seven-point advantage, the Washington Post reported.
In other findings, the poll found that:
- 47% disapprove of the way Biden has managed the international crisis sparked by the Russian invasion of Ukraine.
- 37% approve of Biden’s handling of the economy, while 58% disapprove.
- 44% approve of his handling of the COVID-19 pandemic while 50% disapprove.
- 75% rate the economy negatively, with 39% saying the economy is in “poor” shape.
- 54% say the economy has gotten worse since Biden took office, compared with 17% who say it’s gotten better and 27% who say it’s stayed the same since he was elected.
- 50% say Biden bears a “good deal” or a “great amount” of the blame for the 40-year high inflation rate, while 48 % say he bears “not much” or no blame at all.
- 59% say Biden is not a strong leader, compared with 36% who say he is; among independents 65% say he’s not a strong.
- 54% say they do not think Biden has the mental sharpness it takes to serve as president, while 40% say he does. Among independents, 59% give a negative assessment of his mental sharpness.
- 46% of adults identify or lean Republican; 43% identify as Democrats.
- 54% say they trust the GOP on the economy compared with 35% who trust Democrats.
- 43% trust Democrats on the pandemic compared with 37% who trust Republicans on the issue.
- 44% trust Democrats on education issues compared with 41% who trust Republicans.
The telephone survey’s margin of error is plus or minus 4 percentage points.
© 2022 Newsmax. All rights reserved.